Little Notice

Hello People!

I'm currently trying to update my blog whenever I can find time, and when I write new entries I'll set the dates to the very day when the event happened.

So, you might have missed out some newer entries if you only read the posts on top. Kindly scroll down if you want to take a look at the newer entries that are hidden within the old ones.

But for easy navigation, I'll make a notice here when the newer posts are up. :)

***


NEW!
Day 72: 春天宜兰一日游

***


Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day 15: 西門町, 桃園, 中壢

Finally I have the time to update my blog again.

Haven't been in a good mood these two days cos I discovered that my money has gone missing.. I recorded my expenditures everyday but couldn't account for the missing few thousands NT.

Didn't expect such thing will happen. I just pray that a miracle would happen, that these money will be returned soon :'( After all, they are all hard-earned money..

So people, do pay full attention to your personal belongings. Don't end up like me, only regretting after I've experienced it. Heart pain!

Drenched my urge to enjoy. Bet this matter will bother me for quite some time. Sigh.

***

Sad and fateful incident aside, I went out with a Taiwanese friend 小偉 yesterday.

Having grown up in 內壢(between 桃園 and 中壢), and mostly been to his workshop in Taipei for choreograph sessions, he had not much idea where in Taipei we could go to.

I haven't been to 西門町 since I arrived, so I suggested of going to there.

It was the first time I traveled on a bus on my own. Took 236 from my school to a place near Taipei train station, got lost for a while, and only reached the station after asking three passersby for directions.

Taipei train station is HUGE. It's metro (equivalent to Singapore's MRT), train and high-speed railway combined together.

Made him waited for around 20 minutes before I spotted his car. Guilty!

Hopped on it, and we headed to 西門町. He parked his car at a carpark that's near the "deserted" area of 西門町, and laughed at my immediate exclamation: "Huh, 西門町跟我在電視上看到的不一樣耶!"


The deserted area of 西門町






The 西門町 with crowds and a lot of advertisements boards: A contrast.


Witnessed the incident of police catching the illegal retailers selling foodstuff and merchandises there red-handed. The retailers just grabbed their luggages (they were smart enough to display the merchandises inside the luggage for the ease of closing it and running away quickly if the police came) and pushed their carts away from the street where the police was.

Even the Taiwanese were shocked.

小偉 took me to try the famous 阿宗麵線. What's special is that everyone stood near the shop to have their noodles. It was a weird scene, but too bad I forgot to take photos of it cos I was already holding on to the warm warm bowl of noodles.

Never mind, shall take photo of that when I re-visit the place.

According to him, 阿宗麵線 started out as a humble food stall on the street of 西門町. The business expanded and they shifted to a shophouse.

It really tasted good, especially with the chilli. The soup was very concentrated, and the noodles were soft.


Small serving: 40NT. Big serving: 55NT.


After that we went to 新宿 for dessert 愛玉 (a kind of transparent jelly). He said it's made of lemon. No wonder there's this sour taste. Nice! (Though I prefer it with 粉圓.)

By the way, 新宿 is a shopping centre that's similar to Far East Plaza, just that it's not as big and spacious.

He wanted to take me to the eatery nearby for nice 排骨飯, but I was full. I remembered where it was located. Will go there and try next time.

Then, we headed to 桃園's 海湖 and 竹圍漁港, and the more prosperous area of 中壢.


I finally get to see the beaming sun and the beautiful sky on the highway! By the way the highway we were on reminded me of PIE. Along the sides were forests.


Passed by the ERP-like gantry amid the highway..


..Passed by Chiang Kai-Shek International Airport.


Reached 桃園's 海湖, the sea where he and his friends usually go to during summer. But it was super windy and cold, with lots of litter. Cannot see the sandy beach cos the tides were high.


海湖.


Sunset near 海湖. This is the second sunset I've seen in Taiwan already; seldom see such a beautiful sight in Singapore.


Next stop was the 竹圍漁港 nearby. It's similar to the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre, where a huge variety of seafood were sold. There were also a lot of street stalls selling roasted squids and 酒螺.

竹圍漁港.


竹圍漁港, near the sea. Super dark and windy, with sands blowing into my eyes. But this was the first time I see stars in Taiwan ever since I arrived!


Last stop was 中壢; 小偉 droved me around the more prosperous area where he usually went for arcade sessions during his school days.




中壢 street scenes. I couldn't take any clear photos on the car. SOGO is still very famous in Taiwan, while Singapore's chain has already been shut down a few years back.


Cos Taipei is far far away from 中壢, he took me to the train station. Bought the train ticket and headed back to Taipei Station on my own.


中壢 Train Station


On the platform, waiting for the train to arrive.


On the train.


The ticket.

I didn't take much photos, cos I thought it was quite weird snapping away in front of a local who's very familiar with the surrounding.

After reaching Taipei Station, I decided to be adventurous so I didn't take the metro, though it is less likely I'll get lost inside the metro station.

I followed the directions and was lucky enough to return to the exit that I went past in the afternoon. Nearly got lost on the way, but strangely, I wasn't afraid at all. Perhaps I was half-distracted by the missing money incident. It has ripped me off part of my emotions.

Outside Taipei Train Station.


Relying on my memory, I walked to the bus stop that I alighted in the afternoon, and upon asking a passerby I realised 236's route is a loop.

I boarded the bus; mission completed.

游車河 in Taiwan is nice.. Get to see the street scenes without having to walk.